Fishing Reports & News




Delaware Family Fishing is seeking a charter for the LIL' ANGLER II to fish The Ocean City Maryland Shark tournament. The tournament dates are June 12th–16th 2013. Fishing is two (2) of three (3) days June 13-15. Boat will depart from Indian River Marina. The cost will be $4800 for the entire charter and include the following:


1. Basic entry fee to tournament (charter has the option for added entries and daily calcutta if desired.

2. All required fishing licenses, permits.

3. All required tackle, equipment, rigging, and bait.

4. Two days of shark fishing. We intend to fish the first two days of the tournament (June 13 & 14) weather permitting. If weather allows us to tournament fish Thursday and Friday, Saturday will be an inshore black sea bass and flounder trip. Again weather permitting, this charter will include 3 full days of fishing.

5. Tickets to the awards ceremony on Sunday June 16th.

6. Coast Guard licensed IGFA Captain and two mates for all fishing days.

7. Tournament winning split will be 70% to charter, 15% to Capt, 7.5% to each Mate.

8. This is for up to 8 passnegers.

9. Food, drink, and gratuity for the mates are not included.


Again the $4800 includes 3 days of fishing (weather permitting). If you have any questions, please contact Capt. Brian Wazlavek at 302-430-3414.

Video shows it all. Crew and equipment in action. Thanks to Bret Rankin of Montauk Fishing Gear for taking and posting video. We finished the day with 17 releases.


Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site

The last fishing report I wrote was called “Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug”.  Base on the title of this article, can you see where it is going?  Yes we landed another whopper last night.  This fish was also caught by Colby Hastings of Seaford DE, but we have a little different ending.

The day started out with the LIL’ ANGLER II departing her berth in Anglers Marina loaded with fresh surf clams from Joe at Lewes Harbour Marine.  The 3:40 departure was a little later than I wanted but all worked out well.  We arrived off of Slaughter Beach and surprise, there were 3 boats and one was almost right on the spot I caught our fish from on Saturday night.  Plan B again, we fished a little further North in about 16 feet of water right along a steep drop off.  Clams were shucked and lines were set.  Fishing today was with a purpose, redemption from Saturday night.  With me were Seth Hastings of Seaford DE, his brother Colby, John Meredith of Lincoln DE, and the Mate Jonathan Masten of Milford DE, all fished with me on Saturday when we almost set an IGFA record.  After Saturday, everyone on board the LIL’ ANGLER II understood all the IGFA rules for an All Tackle Length Live Release.  The rules were reviewed again anyway.  The first hook up came about an hour after settling in, and was a clearnose skate caught by John and then Seth added a smooth dogfish.

A short time later John sees something playing with the bait, and reels down, fish on.  After a few minutes of fighting the fish with a little give and take, John lands a 34 in black drum.  Not the size we wanted but the right species.  In the cooler it goes.  The current slacks up and begins to ebb, the boat began to swing and it was time to move and reposition.

The LIL’ ANGLER II is re-anchored and riding tight on the anchor line.  After about 45 minutes, the boat in front of us hooks up and lands a puppy.  The fish are booming all around us and the fish finder is lit up with fish.  The current is picking up and it’s Colby’s turn to hook up and land a 26 pounder, in the box he goes.  It seemed like keeping whole fresh bait on the rods was impossible.  All rods were showing signs of very lite nibbles.  Seth finally gets a hook in one, and after a short fight, it’s brought aboard the boat, pictures are taken, and into the coleman goes the boomer.  This fish is 40 inches.  John, Colby, and Seth all have a fish on ice; and it’s time to get serious.

It’s now 10:05, and Colby picks up a rod and feeds a little line to the fish at the other end.  Reel down tight and fish on.  The fish takes line, Colby gains it back, and this back and forth lasts for 25 minutes.  Everyone remembers Saturday night, and careful attention is paid to the IGFA angling rules.  Colby gets the fish to the side of the boat and the fish wants nothing to do with us and our net.  The fish is finally beaten into submission and the Mate, Jonathan Masten, nets the beast and lifts it over the side.  There is no doubt that this is the drum we wanted.  The fish is quickly placed on the IGFA ruler and it comes in at 124 cm.  No tie tonight, this fish beats Dr. Julie Ball’s fish by 3 cm.  Photos were taken in accordance with the IGFA standards, and the magnificent fish is released.  Handshakes and congratulations all around.  We fished another 30 minutes and called it a night knowing it would be an early morning with paperwork to be done.  Thursday morning the anglers and crew gathered at Lewes Harbour Marine to get last night’s bounty cleaned, and for Colby and me to complete the application for IGFA record consideration.  The paper work was completed, notarized, and the entire package was delivered to the U.S. Postal Service.  It is now over except for waiting to hear from the IGFA.  If you are interested in chasing monster fish give me, Captain Brian, a call at 302-430-3414, or send an email via my website at

How fast things can change.  The sun sets, the current slacks, and the bite drops off. But this crew of anglers is still feeling good. Based on radio reports, the LIL’ ANGLER II is still well ahead of the rest of the fleet. Remaining patient, the current starts to flood again, improving fishing conditions.

I forgot to mention that when we started to catch our previous fish, we became an instant magnet that attracted other boats.  As darkness sets in, we're surrounded by other boats filled with fishermen, and nothing is happening.  Radio chatter indicates that two other boats have each caught one fish each.  As the slow pace continues at this location, other boats begin moving out.  It is now just us and one other boat, and I have not moved since we dropped the hook.  It pays off.

Colby sees a slight tap on the rods, picks it up, and FISH ON!  But while it's looking like our luck has turned back on, believe me the transition from windshield to 'bug' begins.  The fish is fighting hard, and running into the current.  Colby is a novice to fishing, but is doing a fantastic job fighting the fish. To this point, the drum has done nothing spectacular, and our shields are down.  Just then, the fish makes another run that keeps going.  The rods are loaded with 30lb braid with a little mono underneath.  In the heat of battling this drum, the comment is made that the reel was now down to the mono backer.  The mate tells Colby to tighten the drag slightly, but Colby did not understand, so the mate adjusts the drag.  It is this innocent, yet critical motion that has now made us the 'bug,' and we don’t even know it.  The battle continues with several more drag adjustments, by both the mate and me (the Captain).  The fish gets closer to the boat and breaks the surface, and making John’s previous 54.75 pounder look like a minnow.  At this point, I realize we could be the 'bug.'  The fish is finally landed. It is huge.

The IGFA is developing a smartphone app that will identify a fish when you take a photo of it with your smartphone.  I have been taking photos of all black drum caught to contribute to the development effort.

The IGFA has an All Tackle Length Live Release category that includes black drum.  The current record is held by Dr. Julie Ball of Virginia, caught in May of 2011, measuring 121 cm.  When we put the fish on the IGFA ruler, it measures 122 cm, and would otherwise be considered a tie to the current world record for a released black drum. To officially retire an old record, the new fish must measure 2 cm greater, or it is considered a tie.  To explain that our excitement for this amazing catch would be matched by disappointment, would be an understatement.

You see, our fish did not qualify for a tie, because someone other than the angler touched the reel.  The simple act of adjusting the drag disqualified the fish.  Hence we are now the 'bug,' flattened on the windshield of life.  Photos were taken in accordance with IGFA standards to quiet any doubters, and Colby released the giant drum over the transom to live another day.  While disappointing, I am equally encouraged to know that drum records can be tied or beaten right here in the Delaware Bay.  And on what started out as an everyday, typical charter trip, I also learned a valuable lesson; you never know what is on the end of the line, and all hook ups should be treated as potential records



More Articles...

Page 1 of 4


Join Us On Facebook


Book Now!

Great Catches


Capt Brian is the ONLY Captain in Delaware recommended by The International Game Fish Association (IGFA).

The IGFA is the overseer of recreational fishing worldwide.

The IGFA is a not-for-profit organization committed to the conservation of game fish and the promotion of responsible, ethical angling practices through science, education, rule making and record keeping. 

Visit their website at

Become a member and keep current with fishing activities worldwide as well as their considerable influence on our behalf concerning issues that affect our beloved sport.